Simple, healthy twists to favorite family foods
From favorite meals to the snacks they ask for daily, you probably have a list committed to memory of the foods your family enjoys most. Wish you could up the nutrition factor on some of those items? With a few healthy twists, you can easily encourage your family to eat more wholesome snacks and meals while still appealing to their taste buds.
Registered Dietician Christy Wilson offers incredibly simple ideas for recreating meal and snack time so your entire family benefits from better nutrition. For more inspiration for healthy eating, visit www.vivemejor.com.
When hunger pangs strike, but it’s not yet mealtime, reach for fresh fruit. Get a little creative by making fruit parfaits by layering chopped fresh fruit with yogurt and granola. Packed with vitamins and minerals, you can feel good when your kids ask for more.
Get creative by adding fresh produce into side dishes. For example, add red pepper, mushrooms, onion, tomato and lime juice to Knorr Fiesta Sides Yellow Rice. Want to make it a meal? Add a protein like sauteed chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces.
Satisfy the crunch craving
Sometimes your family just wants something crunchy so they reach for that bag of chips. Stop! Instead of chips, prepare crunchy vegetable sticks like jicama, carrots and cucumbers. They’re great for dipping and packing in the kids’ lunches.
Double the vegetables
For a nutrition boost, double the vegetables in favorite family recipes. For example, you can take Knorr’s recipe for Fiesta Lime Chicken and give it a nutritious spin with two or three tomatoes instead of just one.
Fiesta Lime Chicken
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 package Knorr Fiesta Sides Yellow Rice
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- If desired, season chicken with salt and pepper or Knorr Chicken flavor Bouillon. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken, stirring frequently, until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Remove and set aside.
- Prepare Knorr Fiesta Sides Yellow Rice in same skillet according to package directions.
- Stir in chicken, avocado and tomato until well blended. Top, if desired, with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped red onion and cilantro.